Friday, October 24, 2008

Lights Out

One thing I pride myself in is that I think I'm pretty, dang smart. Sound prideful? Maybe, but I don't mean it that way at all, I just love to learn (hence the whole me being a teacher thing), and I think education is the most important thing in the world basically. Anyhow, this is proof that I still have so much to learn. It's kind of funny when something like what happened does and reminds you of your youth and inexperience...

So here's what happened. Jake and I moved into our new, dream home 2 weeks ago tomorrow. We thought everything was taken care of after we signed our lives away by placing our "John Hancock" on so many papers the rain forest would weep. Welp, we were wrong... Everything was perfect the first week and a half of living here until Jake came home on Thursday and immediately noticed there was a problem. We had NO power! We both got right on it and called our lender to find out what the problem was, and I was ready to "let them have it!" Well, turns out you have to actually call the power company yourself and change it into your name! We NEVER knew that!!

Maybe that sounds crazy and also idiotic, but come now, we're young and even though I don't like to admit it, I have tons to learn, and this is evidentally one of those million things. Well, needless to say, by the time we called to get our electricity turned on, it was too late, so we spent the whole night without any light, and no power at all!! Fingers crossed everything in our fridge is ok! We'll let you know if it was after we eat it! They turned on the power again this afternoon, and let me tell you how thankful I am for that! Thank you modern conveniences!

Just thought I'd let you know our funny blunder this week! Next on the "To Do" List, call to change the utilities and water ino our names too... Who knew??!

Lovin' the Light, Mekell

6 comments:

Allison said...

I'm glad you shared this story...I got a good laugh!

Courtney said...

HA HA HA! I love that you didn't know that.
I'm so happy that you have a blog!!! Hooray!!!

Jody said...

Classic. I'm sure we have some similar stories from our home buying experience.

Yay for blogging. Feel free to add us to your friends list. (did that sound desperate?)

Mekell and Jake said...

not desperate at all...what's your blog address? i would love to!!!!!

Keiauni said...

he he. You guys are so cute. At least you are laughing... and handing more laughs to everyone else! (including the builder I am sure:)

Mekell and Jake said...

No kidding, everyone (our realtor, lender, escrow, etc.) all called us "the kids." Who knew if they even rememebered our names, but we definitely perpetuated our youth by not knowing anything!!!

great tunes