Friday, November 14, 2008

You Know You're From the HOOD When...

I'm a teacher at a juvenile jail. That should speak volumes to what my days are like. However, I love it. A lot. I've never been one for conformity, so I definitely understand my students, except the whole law breaking part. But their mentality is completely in my realm of comprehension. Good thing I had amazing parents growing up and a support system in the church and friends.

Anyhow, I teach 6 periods a day: 4 classes of language arts, and 2 classes of ELL, for the kids who don't speak English. Call me horrible, but I definitely have a favorite class, and I tell them that all of the time. They are my 3rd period language arts class of 16 and 17 year old boys. Not only are they smart and fun, but they crack me up so much, and they are responsible enough in class so that we can have a ball while still learning it up! Though they are straight from the hood, they tell me I'm the toughest white girl they know, and we get along great and have an amazing amount of mutual respect. The point of this is that this class, my favorite group, is the reason I am going to make it big and become a millionaire. They gave me the idea for my up and coming book!

Today in class, as they told me stories of how many of them had been chased by dogs in their neighborhoods, I replied that in all of my life, I have never once been chased by a dog. To that, they responded that this was an obvious indication that I didn't grow up in the hood. From there, as a class, we came up with countless indications of how to know when someone grew up in the hood. It was not only fun and entertaining, but it was actually a very healthy bonding experience for others so they could see their similarities and later discuss how they didn't want this same lifestyle for their future family and children. So much good actually came of this discussion. Here are some other hysterical anecdotes...

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM THE HOOD WHEN...
--You're mom waking you up in the middle of night isn't to tuck you in but to push you under the bed to protect you from oncoming bullets.
--You turn on the light on the kitchen, wait for the floor to scatter, and then walk in to do your thing.
--You use a t-shirt to dry off with after a shower because towels are a luxury you don't have.
--You drink kool-aid with every meal, and when there isn't any left, you resort to just plain sugar water.
--You sleep in a bed with 6 other people all in your grandma's room.
--You call it a whoopin' and not spanking.
--Every other type of bread is just nasty, foreign food unless its bleached, starchy, fake, white bread.
--You know the homeless guy on the corner by name.
--You wash your favorite shirt in the sink or tub so you can wear it Friday night, and wearing it out wet is completely acceptable.
--You brush the roach off your food first, and then proceed to eat it.
--Hot cheetos are your favorite food.
--Your idea of a water park is playing with the hose or swimming in the canal.
--Wearing the wrong color could be signing your death warrant.
--There are more liquor stores than schools.
--Somehow, everyone you know is a cousin or relative.

Haha, these are only a few that I can remember, but I plan on having them write down as many as they can and compiling a complete book of these crazy, comical realities! Listening to these kids makes me realize how middle class that I really am and only confirms the viable separation and class system evident within the U.S. But only through understanding these differences and the gap between us, can we truly accomplish change and bridge the gap to equality. Thank you, jail kids, for opening my mind and eyes to a new world and for giving me a good laugh and making me happy everyday!

Much love, MEK (AKA Mrs. R&B)

7 comments:

B and C said...

The cheetos, fake white bread, & Koo aid are hillarious! Oh my girl you are a saint. Those kids are so lucky tyo have you...Actually I am too :) Luv ya!

Mekell and Jake said...

Thanks, love! I'm lucky to have you too!:) Those kids are awesome, they fulfill the part of me that yearns to be ghetto!!

Keiauni said...

Had to laugh at the "kool-aid" part. I have to tease J, because he drank kool-aid like everyday of his life:) ...personally, I HATE the stuff.

Cool post. WRITE THE BOOK. You'll be a MILLIONAIRE:)

Mekell and Jake said...

That's the goal!

Lindsay said...

those are great tips! Now I know why I have no street cred

Edna said...

When u drive on drive out tags for four years strong

Edna said...

If u changed the numbers on your drive oit tag more than twice

great tunes